We arrived at the gate at 6:30 a.m. or so, and there was already a line forming, contrary to our expectations. Most of the people in front were Americans, however, so this meant minimal shoving and general civility about the whole thing. When the gates were opened we took the coveted seats, and sat down to wait for a couple of hours. Most of us were studying for our Roman Perspectives final, and I was ready Gregory the Great’s dialogues on St. Benedict. I think my favorites were the ones with the uncharitable nuns who would leave their tombs after they died during communion time at Mass, and the one in which “the Enemy of mankind” appeared to Benedict in the form of a veterinarian, of all things. During this time, a German band was playing German songs, and the German group behind was heartily joining the singing; it was a little hard on the ears, actually. Then some Germans in costume danced to the music on some of the lower steps. During this time, directly in front of us were these interesting Italians in some very different costumes. They were wearing light weight tunics with maroon-brown velvet short capes with gold trim, and little white caps that looked like some kind of stocking cap with the points tucked in to the rolled edge, slightly like the cap that Dante traditionally wears. They had a banner that called them the Confraternity of St. Anthony. Anyway, they were trying to assemble and hold aloft a giant immensely ornate crucifix. The cross itself was made of a beautiful polished dark wood, inlaid with silver filigree, and on the top three points of the cross were fitted giant boquets of delicate gold and silver leaf flowers. Jesus was wearing a golden loincloth over which was draped a huge gold rope with tassles and a jeweled six-pointed star. A small golden cherub was holding up a silver chalice to catch the blood from the wound in Jesus’ side. I’m still not sure whether they were trying to present it to the Holy Father, or have him bless it.
After the audience, all of us except one were able to touch the Holy Father, and this time I was really able to shake his hand, not just barely touch him like last time. We were all so happy, and so grateful that we had been given this final opportunity to greet the Vicar of Christ before we return home. I still plan to be there for his Sunday blessing, since it will be last opportunity, probably in my life, to see our beloved Papa. How I will miss him!
2 comments:
Don't forget to get pictures!
(If you don't get them while in Rome, they are also available from the Vatican website, though it's hard to browse through them all.)
Oh yes, I have pictures from both audiences, and I found the websites for two different places that sell them. Foto Felici seems to have the biggest selection from the best angles.
Post a Comment